The Quinte Sports and Wellness Centre is open Monday and Tuesday as a cooling centre.
The current weather forecast prompted the centre’s activation for those needing relief from the heat. Visitors are asked to enter the cooling centre through the doors facing Cannifton Road (on the building’s west side).
Extra precautions are in place to help reduce the risk of COVID-19 among those using the facility including:
- Masks or face coverings are required and will be provided if needed.
- Security and city staff are present.
- Visitors are screened and asked to sign in upon entry.
- Physical distancing is in place.
- Washrooms are available and cleaned hourly.
- City transit continues to be free of charge until the end of August. Route and schedule information is available on the city website. The cooling centre will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City staff encourage the use of the splash pads which are free of charge and located at Riverside, Parkdale and Kinsmen Parks.
“Please reach out to friends and neighbours living on their own to ensure they are coping with the temperatures,” they wrote in a news release.